Let's practice English or French conversation here!

Here you can speak (in english) about game creation with RPG Maker or similar tools.
Dentelle127
Koruldia Master

Message non lu par Dentelle127 » mar. mars 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Blue a écrit :It's sad to admit but it's true (sad because some native speakers tend to think they're the centre of the world - not everyone of course, no offense :)
Everywhere I guess :( ... however I agree that is a probability by the way.
a écrit :Although it'd be really nice to promote Esperanto as an international language too. Or French :P
If I'm remember correctly, French is the universal langage used in politics, isn't it? :P
a écrit :Online and electronic translators aren't reliable unless you're looking for simple words. I was trying to show a translation of a spanish poem to a friend the other day but google translation gave the worst translation ever: it just kept everything in Spanish and couldn't translate it ! :P
It is that I do regularly... just seeing some simple words on the application ans perhaps some tyîcal expressions though. Sometimes I learn them from my english friends ^^! I just see on Google to verify the syntaxe sometimes too, when I'm not really sure. (not by the translation tool, just a normal search on it).
Well... if you're talking about sayger's message then there's the -e missing at the end of 'sure', the rest of it looks fine grammatically speaking (as far as I'm concerned), I wouldn't say it that way though. I'd use 'improve' instead of 'make progress' :)
I saw the mising -e on "sure", but forgot to quote it ^^"... and improve is a word I recommand to ;)
I mean about my post too, but not really mportant ^^" (just sometimes Kayser loves telling me I don't speak well english >=[ ... It happens I make mistakes because I don't know or not really sure, but erf... it isn't catastrophic so far -_- !) lol ...

Many thanks Blue ;)

Blue
KoruTeam
KoruTeam

Message non lu par Blue » mer. mars 17, 2010 12:57 am

Oh ok ! Sorry about that ! I thought you were talking about sayger's post. I saw your post and I thought it was a grammar lesson so it kinda scared me off :P my grammar skills are getting rusty these days, I can't even tell between an adverb and a preposition anymore :P

Well, I guess I just need to go through the English, but I apologize in advance if I can't give any good grammar explanations :D:
Dentelle127 a écrit : Why don't you go to post at the Pokémon section?
I'd say 'Why don't you go post in the Pokemon section ?'

'at' is kind of an offensive word. Not sure how to explain this but you kind of say 'throwing something AT someone', 'yelling AT someone'... so I wouldn't say 'posting at' it sounds like you're gonna throw a message at someone's face :P
Try to use 'in' whenever you're talking about a location :)
EDIT: Just thought about this and I've realised you do say 'to sit at a counter'... hmmm to be honest there is probably a rule for 'at' and 'in' but I can't really explain it sorry :( I'd say, in doubt just use 'in', it sounds less offensive :P

As for the 'to' well... Not sure how to explain that... :s you don't say 'go to do smthg' it just doesn't sound right :s
Dentelle127 a écrit :To Josh: There just should be that members speak english here sometimes. It will be benefical for our english section, then you or other volunteers come to fix our mistakes sometimes too. I'm sure it will be effective for us to improve English ;)
We should all speak here from time to time.
The french structure 'il faudrait' doesn't translate into english so you have to change the structure otherwise the sentence won't make sense :)
This english section would benefit greatly from it.
(You used 'should' before so you should keep the same tense ;) it's the same in your french sentence 'vive', 'vienne' etc.
Also, 'beneficial' isn't a very common word as far as I know, but then it's not like I speak world english - if they use it in australia or something then I didn't say anything :P
you could come fix our mistakes
same tense, to come + verb or come + and + verb (come help me, come and help me, come give me a hand, come and eat, etc.)
Dentelle127 a écrit :ask for any helps, etc.
'help' ne prend pas de s :)

Also in your previous post you use a lot 'see words', 'see on google', I'd use 'look up' as in 'look up a word in a dictionary', 'look up a word on google'. Although to be honest English people just say 'to google a word' :P all nouns in english can be made into a verb. It's like in French when you add 'er' at the end of a noun to create a new verb :P (textoteeeeer mdr)

And the expression 'il m'arrive' doesn't quite translate into english you don't say 'it happens that', sounds a bit funny. Sounds better if you say 'I happen to make mistakes'
:)
~~~~ Blue ~~~

Dentelle127
Koruldia Master

Message non lu par Dentelle127 » sam. mars 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Blue a écrit :Well, I guess I just need to go through the English, but I apologize in advance if I can't give any good grammar explanations :D
lol! You're joking! xD!
I read it all, your explanations are really helpful, seriously :o! Thanks so much! ;)
a écrit :As for the 'to' well... Not sure how to explain that... :s you don't say 'go to do smthg' it just doesn't sound right :s
I see... :)
Perhaps using "I will do something" in this case, unless if you have a better suggestion?
a écrit :Although to be honest English people just say 'to google a word' :P all nouns in english can be made into a verb. It's like in French when you add 'er' at the end of a noun to create a new verb :P (textoteeeeer mdr)
Haha xD, ok ^^
I recon I have some difficulties seeing that kind of things when I read or talk with an english person.
Then, the difficulty is to differentiate all english dialects sometimes too :(.

I will take notes about the other things ;)

Blue
KoruTeam
KoruTeam

Message non lu par Blue » dim. mars 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Dentelle127 a écrit :
a écrit :As for the 'to' well... Not sure how to explain that... :s you don't say 'go to do smthg' it just doesn't sound right :s
I see... :)
Perhaps using "I will do something" in this case, unless if you have a better suggestion?
The answer is written up there :) you say 'I'll go do something", there is no "to" but I just can't explain why :)

Yeah dialects, that's always a problem, you can speak good english from a certain place, and by the time you move somewhere else, some of the words will have a different meaning :) Especially slang :( you always discover a new slang word, even english people don't understand each other :(
~~~~ Blue ~~~